Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Log Book - Truckers and Hours of Service

Every vehicle driver understands what a wood book is. It's lovingly described as the comic book, funny pages, or cheat sheet. The guidelines are perplexing. They changed near the end of 2005 and the capabilities that feel in Washington (none of who, I'm certain have previously driven an 18-wheeler) haven't decided if these modifications are the last draft. We had been able to drive 10 hours before requiring an 8 time break. Now we could drive 11 hours (maybe not direct, needless to say) but has to take a 10 time break.
To be very truthful, I'm not sure all of the details of the new rules, but I am sure if I'm previously tangled up in a trucking accident, the attorneys will fill me personally in. Right back when the original rules were initially made legislation, transportation had been absolutely nothing like it is today. Nowadays, over-the-road trucks have sleepers that are like rolling studio flats as compared to coffin sleepers from back into the 60s and seventies. In those days, a motorist ended up being liable to fall asleep on a board propped between the driver and traveler seating. The roads were nothing like the super highways we have today. Nowadays, we now have satellite radio to go enough time, atmosphere trip cabs and environment ride chairs. We can stop in at the mini-mall truck stop and get a decent bath and a meal. However the big modification in the log book rules ended up being 1 extra hour we are permitted to drive, accompanied by 2 extra hours we must sit around and twiddle our thumbs.

You need to understand, my travel from "home" to "work" on mostly about 2 legs. We will drive in sweat pants and an undershirt if we want to. I don't have all the disruptions that a normal job may involve. To be truthful, many truckers want to get down the road, have it over with and obtain house. But they are frequently forced into a scenario where they both need to park for a 10-hour break when they are only a couple of hours from residence or lie to their wood guides.

We physically think log publications have nothing to accomplish with safety. They're helpful in principle, but, ultimately, you can't legislate sleep. Finally, safe drivers will pull over whenever they're exhausted and hazardous drivers won't- regardless of what their particular log books state. Ultimately, common sense can't be gleaned from a sheet of carbon and 2 sheets of report.

I have been in many different situations where my sign guide said I had a lot of hours, but I became dead tired. I have been in various other circumstances where we felt well-rested and wanted to get down the road but my sign guide said I had to get rid of some more hours. My many current battle is the 14-hour guideline. Once we start work for the time, I need to stop 14 hours later on unless there is a 10-hour break in there somewhere. Therefore, if we drive for 5 hours, take a nap for 4 hours, eat dinner and get a shower, I have 3 hours driving time left on the 14-hour clock. So, possibly the rule-makers don't desire us to take a nap.

Extended haul trucking is a difficult job. The way of life is rough regarding the motorist. There are great motorists and there are bad drivers, and not one driver will tell you that the wood guide tends to make the distinction.

No comments:

Post a Comment